Vegan Mac and Cheese
Mac and cheese without the dairy, topped with golden brown breadcrumbs.
- 1/2 cup margarine / vegan butter
- 6 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 3 x 14oz Cans Unsweetened Coconut Milk or 5 cups unsweetened soy milk
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock
- 3 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 3 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 18oz Pack Elbow Macaroni
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp margarine, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- In a large pot, cook the macaroni according to the directions and then rinse and drain.
- While the macaroni cookes, melt the margarine in another large pot. When it’s melted add the flour and stir vigorously for a minute.
- Slowly pour in the milk, then the stock, whisking as you do it. Whisk out the lumps. Keep whisking until it starts to boil and then keep whisking for a few minutes until it thickens a little.
- Remove it from the heat and add in the dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper and whisk.
- Add the cooked macaroni into the pot of sauce and mix gently until pasta is covered.Then transfer to a 9×13 baking dish and smooth down.
- Prepare the crumb topping by mixing the breadcrumbs and 2 Tbsp melted margarine with a fork. Sprinkle the topping over the macaroni.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the topping is golden brown and crispy.
- Chicken stock can be used in place of veggie stock, but is not vegan.
- Smoked paprika is much better than other paprika, in this recipe
- Coconut milk will be the most creamy option, but 5 cups of unsweetend soy milk will work as well.