Basil Chile Fried Rice
A savory, spicy fried rice featuring Thai Chili Paste and Basil
- 1.5 cups rice
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast or thigh, cut into small pieces.
- 1.5 Tbsp Thai Chili Paste (in Soya Bean Oil)
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3-5 Cloves of garlic, minced or ground into paste
- Up to 1 tsp of dried red pepper (or other chili) flakes. Omit to reduce spiciness.
- 1 onion, diced
- Some other sort of veggie (I prefer chopped up bok choy)
- 1 cup basil (preferably Thai or holy)
- 1 fresh chili pepper, cut into thin slices
- Cook the rice, then spread it out on a plate to cool and dry out in the fridge for a while.
- Marinate the cut chicken in 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce, 1 tsp sugar, and 1 Tbsp water for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Mix the Chili Paste, Fish Sauce, and 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce. Set aside.
- In a large pan over high heat, cook the chicken until done. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, scramble the eggs. Remove and set aside with the chicken.
- In the same pan, briefly saute the garlic and red pepper flakes in a bit of oil until fragrant.
- Add onion and other solid veggies and saute for a few more minutes.
- Add the rice then mix in the sauce. Stir until everything is coated and the rice is no longer clumpy.
- Turn off the heat, then add the basil, any other leafy veg., and sliced chili. Stir until slightly wilted. Serve.