Hot and savory potato soup with carrots and onions. Customize with other veggies or meats!
- 6 cups peeled and diced potatoes (about 5 medium potatoes)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 ½ cups baby carrots, diced
- 1 cup bacon or ham, diced
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans chicken stock
- ⅓ cup butter or margarine
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups milk
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Chili Powder
- Cook the chopped onions in a large stockpot with some oil until translucent.
- Add diced potatoes, carrots, and meat into stockpot. Cover with chicken broth and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat (5-10 minutes). Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat to medium and continue to cook about 15 - 20 minutes longer until potatoes are very soft.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour to make a roux and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly. Add seasonings to this mixture until it has a strong and good taste. Continue to cook, stirring constantly until mixture begins lightly bubble and thicken.
- Once potatoes are soft, add thickened milk mixture to potato soup mixture and stir (potatoes should start breaking down into soup, if not cook a few minutes longer).
- Ladle soup into serving bowls, optionally top each serving with cheddar cheese and green onions.
- Unsweetened Soy milk works in place of normal milk. Unsweetened Almond milk works as well, but will take much longer to thicken.